Ayurveda treatment for Epilepsy
-At Neeraj Epilepsy treatment Clinic, we mainly focus on Ayurveda and nature therapy. The best treatment for Epilepsy is Ayurveda. The word Ayurveda (in Sanskrit Ayu means life, and Veda means to know). Prepared with natural organic ingredients and herbs, with zero side effects and miraculous results, we give our patients Ayurvedic Medicines prescribed as per the need of today’s lifestyle and severity of the illness.
Ayurvedic Medicine+ Medical Counseling + Nature Therapy = Powerful Results
In Ayurveda, the convulsions are due to an imbalance of the Vata Dosha. For Pitta Dosha, the loss of consciousness in Epilepsy is due to doshic influence. In Epilepsy convulsions or Epileptic seizure when one loses consciousness soon after seeing the colors red, blue and black and also recovers quickly, this is considered as a sign of Vata disturbance. Similarly, Pitta disturbances happen due to seeing the colors light or dark red or yellow and recovering with heavy sweating.
More about Epilepsy and the related treatment –
In Epilepsy losing consciousness and frothing at the mouth after convulsion is a major sign. Due to its cardinal sign of loss of consciousness or memory, epilepsy or epileptic attacks are commonly known as the ‘falling disease’ or ‘fits.’ It is a serious disorder of the central nervous system that affects both children and adults alike.
Yoshapasmara is another type of epileptic seizure which we get to read in our texts and finds relevance in the condition of hysteria. Many times, it is we ignore this as a tendency or hereditary factor. This has a grave impact on the growth and well-being of the female suffering and the people associated with her. But on a positive note, this Epilepsy seizure is treatable and can bring about a great change in the person afflicted by this.
Causes of Epilepsy and treatments for Epilepsy
According to Ayurveda, the causes of epilepsy could be kama (passion), krodha (anger), lobha (greed), moha (temptation), Harsha (ecstasy), Soka (grief) chinta (worry), udvega (anxiety), etc.
Today, we can largely group the causes as:
- Hereditary influences.
- Serious shock or injury to the brain or nervous system.
- Diseases like meningitis and typhoid.
- Allergic reaction to certain food substances.
- Circulatory disorders like a stroke or a heart attack.
- Drug abuse or overuse: Chronic alcoholism, Lead poisoning, Use of hallucinogens and stimulants like cocaine, Antidepressants or sleep aids like benzodiazepines and barbiturates.
- Mental conflict: Long-term grief, passion or anger, Subconscious fear or hatred.
- Deficient mineral assimilation like inadequate haemoglobin or essential minerals like magnesium.
- Consumption of junk/processed foods and the absence of a regularized lifestyle habit for those with epileptic tendencies.
But the good news is there is a treatment for all of these causes at Neeraj Epilepsy Clinic.
Ayurvedic treatment for Epilepsy
A doctor consultation is a must for diagnosing and treating epilepsy effectively. Medication, counseling, and lifestyle go hand in hand to have a complete therapeutic experience as the treatment for Epilepsy. The good news is that there is a cure for epilepsy in Ayurveda – at least, we can manage it to a large extent of being able to lead a completely normal life.
- Counseling: Assurance and guidance helps overcome depression and anxiety and may also enhance the effects of the medications in Epilepsy treatment.
- Panchakarma: Strong detoxification procedures are highly effective in such cases of Epilepsy treatment. The type of purification method chosen to restore the brain’s activity to normal would depend on the specific dosha.
Let’s learn about Dosha In Epilepsy and It’s treatment
- Vata dosha: In this case, using an enema (basti) we clean the patient’s body to balance Vata Dosha. This dosha gets aggravate due to stress, lack of sleep and acute mental exertion. Constipation and problems of the GI tract can also bring about this type of epilepsy. In Epilepsy treatment, Vata is calmed with the help of medicated oil massage (abhyanga) as well as by pouring a stream of oil on the head (Shirodhara) which can calm the mind. Herbs like shankhpushpi, ashwagandha, and Brahmi are used to normalize brain activity.
- Pitta dosha: The aggravation of this dosha is corrected by purgation (virechana). This dosha is usually disturbed due to high heat. The possible causes of epilepsy due to Pitta dosha could be diseases like encephalitis and inflammation of the head.
- Kapha dosha: Toxins are removed from the system by inducing vomiting (Vamana) as the first phase of treatment in Epilepsy. This is often due to a blockage of the nervous system. One of the primary signs of Kaphic epilepsy can be the excessive secretion of saliva. It could be set off by a sedentary or inactive lifestyle. Tulsi and calamus root are commonly used to treat Kapha type epilepsy.
- Rejuvenation and revitalization through Rasayana therapy reduce the recurrence of attacks and promotes complete mind and body coordination for a fruitful life. The Ayurvedic Epilepsy natural treatment is Panchagavya Ghrita, Maha Panchagavya Ghrita, Vachadhya Ghrita along with the various herbs given below.
Herbs treatment for Epilepsy
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monniera): Take 5-10 ml of the fresh juice with a teaspoon of honey as a natural cure for Epilepsy.
- Shankhpushpi (Evolvulus Alsinoides): Take equal quantities of shankhpushpi powder with Vacha (sweet flag). Consume 3 gms with honey twice daily.
- Malkangni (Celastrus Paniculatus): Chew Malkangni seeds (10-12 seeds) on an empty stomach and drink some water as epilepsy natural treatment.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys Jatamansi): Mix together 3 gms of jatamansi, 3 gms of Shatavari, 5 gms of Brahmi and 5 gms of Guduchi. Consume ¼ of the mixture in a ½ the cup of water and drink twice daily.
- Vacha (Acorus Calamus): Make a decoction by soaking 1 gm of lightly pounded Vacha root in a cup of boiling hot water till it comes to room temperature. Mix with honey and drink.
- Kantakari (Solanum surattense): Nasyam by placing 2 drops of the fresh juice in each nostril daily can give relief from epilepsy attacks.
- Ash Gourd (Benincasa hispida): The fresh extract or juice of this fruit is very beneficial in such conditions. Combine this Juice Glass with 1 to 2 teaspoons of licorice (yashtimadhu) powder. Drink this once daily for best results.
- Lahsun (Allium Sativum): Take equal quantities of water and milk (approx. 100 ml each) and boil till just the milk remains. Add to it juice from 4-5 garlic cloves and mix well. Take once a day.
Diet treatment for Epilepsy
- Avoid pungent, fried & greasy food, sugar & sweets, strong tea & coffee, alcoholic beverages, condiments & pickles, fast foods at the time of Epilepsy Treatment.
- Adopt a well-balanced diet.
- At the phase of Epilepsy treatment consume lots of Cow’s milk and ghee.
- Seeds: Flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and ash gourd seeds are very effective for Epilepsy treatment and controlling Seizure.
- Drumsticks, greens, sprouts, beans, broccoli, kale, fatty fish.
- Vitamin B 6: Rice, milk, brewer’s yeast, cereals, legumes, carrots, peanuts, green leafy vegetables.
- Fruits: At the time of treatment for Epilepsy try to consume Oranges, grapes, grapefruits, peaches, strawberries, pears, pineapples, and melons.
- Don’t overeat. Eat small, frequent meals rather than an elaborate one.
- Coconut water contains much-needed electrolytes and is very helpful to keep the body well-hydrated.
Lifestyle – Treatment for Epilepsy
- Follow a regularized daily routine (Dinacharya) at the time of Epilepsy treatment to stay stress-free and safe from sudden accidents to avoid Convulsions.
- Try to keep stress and excessive excitement at bay to avoid convulsions and Epileptic seizure. Keep yourself engaged in positive activities to help relax and strengthen your mind.
- Treat yourself with a head and foot massage with sesame oil daily. Add a few drops of frankincense essential oil as a healing agent to soothe your nerves as a treatment for Epilepsy.
- Epsom salt baths can be beneficial in treatment for Epilepsy as Epsom salts contain magnesium which can regulate brain impulses.
- As a treatment for Epilepsy, the patient can take alternate hot and cold compress at the base of the brain and back of the head.
- With the help of laxatives like isabgol to avoid convulsions take care of constipation.
Treatment for Epilepsy – Yoga
Yoga is very helpful to avoid seizure symptoms or convulsions in Epilepsy. Yoga is used as the treatment for Epilepsy in Neeraj Epilepsy Clinic. Following are some of the best Yoga form in treatment for Epilepsy.
- Bhramari Pranayama
- Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose)
- Kapotasana (Pigeon Pose)
- Camatkarasana (Wild Thing Pose)